Monthly Archives: February 2018

Round Chapel, Hackney

Above: A view of the chapel through the surrounding trees in spring when the leaves are starting to appear but not totally blocking the view of the building. Construction started in 1869 on this unusual building and it was opened … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | Leave a comment

Sutton House

Above: The front of the building. Although the windows are not of Tudor style, the rest of the exterior and interior is, in part, 16th century. Sutton House is a Grade II*-listed Tudor manor house in Homerton High Street, in … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | Leave a comment

St Augustine, Hackney

Above: The tower of St Augustine seen in the large churchyard that surrounds it. The balustrade to the left is not attached to the tower, being the decorative top of the old Town Hall. St Augustine was the original parish church of … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | 1 Comment

Springfield House

Above: Springfield House standing on high ground in the park. In the 17th and 18th centuries, much of what we now call Inner London was just open countryside. Much of it was given over to farms, common land and woodland. … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | Leave a comment

Good Shepherd, Cathedral Church of the

Above: The main entrance to the church from the road with decorated stonework incorporated into the building. It is often said about the history of London that there is no need to make up stories about its buildings because, in … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | 1 Comment

De Beauvoir Square

Above: Houses on one side of the square. The semi-detached villas surrounding De Beauvoir Square were designed in Dutch style by Robert Lewis Roumieu, a Huguenot descendant, and Alexander Dick Gough. They were built 1838-39 when Richard Benyon de Beauvoir, … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | 2 Comments

Bishop Wood’s Almshouses

Above: The almshouses in 1998, when they were still in use. These unusual almshouses were erected in 1665 by Dr Thomas Wood, Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry. He was born in the parish of Hackney in 1607 and died in … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | Leave a comment