Monthly Archives: September 2018

Salters’ Hall

Above: The modern hall which stands on the south side of Fore Street. Man’s need for salt goes back centuries. It is estimated that salt was being obtained from salt-mines around 5000 BC. The Romans used salt and the Latin … Continue reading

Posted in /City-Cripplegate | 1 Comment

Elsing Spital

Above: Looking east at the restored ruins in the new gardens on the north side of the thoroughfare called London Wall. It was founded as a hospital beside the street called London Wall in 1331 by a merchant (Mercer) called … Continue reading

Posted in /City-Cripplegate | 2 Comments

Roman Wall at Cripplegate

Above: Roman Wall still standing but set into new gardens – between Fore Street and the street called London Wall in 2018. It is a short distance east of the site of Cripplegate. The red bricks on top of the … Continue reading

Posted in /City-Cripplegate, Comm_Roman Wall, Lon_Comment | 3 Comments

King’s Brewhouse, Stepney

Above: Part of a map by Braun and Hogenberg, 1572. The King’s Brewhouse, Stepney For anyone seeking a visual impression of how Tudor London once looked, a good place to start is with the so-called ‘Agas Map’ which, from the … Continue reading

Posted in /Thames, /Tow-Stepney | 1 Comment

Piccadilly Circus Billboard

Above: Looking across Piccadilly Circus from the SW towards the new display board. It is flat for most of the display but the right-hand edge is curved around the building on the corner of Shaftesbury Avenue. The sign, which has … Continue reading

Posted in /Wes-Piccadilly | 1 Comment

Keepier Wharf

Above: Keepier Wharf in dark brick (to the left of the view) in use as 25 flats, photographed in 2018 from the south side of the Thames. Today, the address of Keepier Wharf is 12 Narrow Street. The wharf is … Continue reading

Posted in /Thames, /Tow-Stepney | Leave a comment

London Bridge Chapel

Above: A Victorian drawing showing the chapel standing beside the roadway on the east side of the bridge. Notice the two entrance doorways leading from the roadway.  The first London Bridge built of stone was begun in 1176 and took … Continue reading

Posted in /Thames, COMMON ITEMS, Comm_London Bridge | Leave a comment

Deptford Creek

Above: Part of John Rocque’s map of 1746 showing Deptford Creek. Deptford Bridge is shown with an arrow. North of the bridge is shown the words ‘Tide Mill’ and south of the bridge is shown ‘Water Mill’. For those who … Continue reading

Posted in /Lew-Deptford, /Thames, COMMON ITEMS | Leave a comment

St Clare, Abbey of

Above: The Abbey as it appears on the Agas map of about 1561. The Roman Wall can also be seen along the medieval gateway called Aldgate. Drawn on the west side of the Abbey is a wide cart-track, known as … Continue reading

Posted in /Tow-Stepney | Leave a comment

Wapping Station Murals

Above: Photograph of the station roundel alongside one of the murals – a delightful view of Wapping High Street in which the station is situated. The large curved Victorian warehouse is known as Gun Wharves. Wapping Station used to be … Continue reading

Posted in /Tow-Stepney | Leave a comment