Author Archives: adrianprockter

Westminster, The City of

Above: An outline map of the present City of Westminster, with its boundary by a thin RED line. The BROWN line shows the route of the ancient Roman road through the borough. Its continuation on either side is shown by … Continue reading

Posted in /Wes-City of, /Wes-Paddington, /Wes-Piccadilly, /Wes-St James, /Wes-St Marylebone, /Wes-Strand, /Wes-Westminster (Area), /Wes-Whitehall | Leave a comment

Greyhound Inn, Greyhound Lane

Above: Standing on Streatham High Road, at the foot of Streatham Common, looking at the pub beside Greyhound Lane. The view was taken in April 2009 when the pub was still called The Greyhound. Much of southeast Inner London was, … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Streatham | 1 Comment

St Leonard, Streatham

Above: A view of the church during a lull in the passing traffic. It is not known when the first church at Streatham was built. The name of Streatham appears in the Domesday Book (1086). A new church is known … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Streatham | Leave a comment

Streatham Overview

Above: The location of Streatham is shown on Google maps. The RED boundary line is part of the London Borough of Lambeth. Streatham lies at the southern end of the London Borough of Lambeth on the western side. Being part … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Streatham, Subj_Overviews | 1 Comment

St John the Evangelist, Waterloo

Above: The portico of the church. Built 1822-24, the church was designed by Francis Octavius Bedford. Bedford designed three other churches for the Commissioners, St George, Camberwell; St Luke, West Norwood and Holy Trinity, Newington. They were all built in … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Lambeth | Leave a comment

Waterloo – Quick Look Around

Above: Part of John Rocque’s map (1746) shows the land that is now known as Waterloo. The area towards the northern tip of the ancient parish of Lambeth was originally marshland. It was known as Lambeth Marshe, but was drained … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Lambeth, Subj_Quick Look Around | Leave a comment

St Luke, West Norwood

Above: View from the churchyard of the north-facing portico. The church was one of the four ‘Waterloo Churches’ erected within the ancient parish of St Mary, Lambeth. Work to build the church began in 1822, designed by the architect Francis … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Lambeth | Leave a comment

West Norwood – Quick Look Around

Above: Part of John Rocque’s map (1746) shows land that became West Norwood. The letters are referenced in the text [in square brackets]. Before starting to explain where West Norwood is, we had better say a few words about Norwood. … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Lambeth, Subj_Quick Look Around | Leave a comment

St Mark, Kennington

Above: The imposing entrance to the church, facing Clapham Road. St. Mark’s was the second of the four ‘Waterloo churches’ to be built within the ancient parish of Lambeth – under the Act of 1818 for providing additional churches in … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Lambeth | Leave a comment

Kennington – Quick Look Around

Above: The land of Kennington is shown on John Rocque’s map (1746). The main roads around Kennington may not look much today but the land, first mentioned in 1072, was a manor, separated from that of Walworth by Stane Street, … Continue reading

Posted in /Lam-Lambeth, Subj_Quick Look Around | Leave a comment