Category Archives: 4-Churchyards

St Katherine Cree Churchyard

Above: The tranquil churchyard is completely surrounded by offices. The church of St Katherine Cree stands on the north side of Leadenhall Street, at the junction of Creechurch Lane. First mentioned in 1280, the church was erected near the Priory … Continue reading

Posted in /City-Aldgate, 4-Churchyards | 2 Comments

St Dunstan in the East

Above: View of the elegant spire from the south side of the Thames. It was taken in 2003 while a new glass-clad office block called Plantation Place was being completed. The earliest recorded mention of the church was in 1272. … Continue reading

Posted in /City-Tower, 4-Churchyards | Leave a comment

St John, Scandrett Street, Wapping

Above: Looking north along Scandrett Street from the junction with Wapping High Street at the elegant church tower. The old churchyard is on the left. In 1617 a Chapel of Ease to St Dunstan, Stepney, was created at Wapping. The Chapel … Continue reading

Posted in /Thames, /Tow-Stepney, 4-Churchyards | Leave a comment

Butterworth Charity

Above: Staring out from the page are widows photographed in the 1920s on a Good Friday at St Bartholomew the Great. The photograph was published in ‘Wonderful London’ a three-volume work published in 1926. Setting the Scene London is never … Continue reading

Posted in /City-Smithfield, 4-Churchyards | Leave a comment

St Olave, Silver Street

 Above: A stone mounted on the wall of the original churchyard. The church is believed to have been in existence by 1000. The first mention was 1181 as ‘St Olave de Mukewellestrate’. The dedication is to the Norwegian King Olaf … Continue reading

Posted in /City-Cripplegate, 4-Churchyards | 1 Comment