Category Archives: /Cam-Holborn

Silchester, Roman Road to

Above: Outline map showing the route of the Roman Road to Silchester (in RED). It was joined by a second Roman road (shown in BLUE). One of the most remarkable features of today’s main roads out of London is that, … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn, /Ham-Hammersmith, /Ken-Kensington, /Roman Roads, /Wes-Paddington, /Wes-St Marylebone | Leave a comment

St George, Bloomsbury Way

Above: The church stands on the north side of Bloomsbury Way. There are two ‘St George’ churches in Bloomsbury which are not that far apart – the church of St George, Bloomsbury Way and the church of St George the … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | 2 Comments

Bedford Square

Above: Looking across the large garden in the square at houses on the south side. The square was laid out between 1775 and 1783 as an upper-middle-class residential area. It takes its name from the main title of the Russell … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | Leave a comment

Russell Square

Above: Looking across Russell Square early in the year, before the foliage on the trees obscures the view. The large terra-cotta building on the right is Hotel Russell. Russell Square and Great Russell Street derive their name from Lord William … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | Leave a comment

Bloomsbury Square

Above: View from the southern side of Bloomsbury Square, looking north. One of the fine squares of Bloomsbury, it was laid out in 1661 and was at first known as Southampton Square, after the developer, Thomas Wriothesley, the Earl of … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | Leave a comment

Bloomsbury Names

Above: Looking north in Bedford Place towards Russell Square. Bedford Place runs almost NW from Bloomsbury Square to Russell Square. As you walk around Bloomsbury, you will find the same names repeated in the streets, the squares and sometimes on … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | 2 Comments

Bloomsbury – Quick Look Around

Bloomsbury is the name for an area of London that, until 1965, was mainly part of Holborn although the northern end extended into the old Metropolitan Borough of St Pancras. Today all of Bloomsbury lies within the London Borough of … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | Leave a comment

Mitre Tavern, Ely Court, Ye Olde

Above: The tiny pub stands in the narrow passageway called Ely Court. According to the sign outside the tavern, the hostelry was established in 1546 – only ten years after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. It may well have been … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | Leave a comment

St Etheldreda

Above: The exterior of the chapel which stands beside the cul-de-sac called Ely Place. This place of worship has had a long and quite unusual history. In 1250 John le Francis, Treasurer of England, rented a house and land opposite … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | Leave a comment

Ely House

Above: Part of John Rocque’s map of 1746 showing Ely House. The map shows the residential buildings at Ely Place which were still standing at the time of the map. The gardens and orchards had once extended much further north … Continue reading

Posted in /Cam-Holborn | 2 Comments