Category Archives: /Hac-Hackney

Tower Hamlets (Hamlets)

Above: Cary’s map of 1786 with the approximate position of the Tower Hamlets added to it. Notice how open much of the land was at that time. The London Borough of Tower Hamlets was so-named when it was formed in 1965 because … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney, /Hac-Shoreditch, /Thames, /Tow-Bethnal Green, /Tow-Poplar, /Tow-Stepney | 3 Comments

Victoria Park Parish Boundaries

Above: The three parish markers to be seen in Victoria Park. When Victoria Park was laid out, the only boundaries to the land were those of the parishes. Metropolitan Borough boundaries were created later. The park, therefore, was created as … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney, /Tow-Bethnal Green, /Tow-Poplar, 1--Common | Leave a comment

Victoria Park

Above: The attractive lake in Victoria Park. The subject of ‘Parks in London’ would fill several weighty volumes. Some of the larger parks in London – like Hyde Park and Richmond Park – derived from land that was Royal land … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney, /Tow-Bethnal Green, /Tow-Poplar, 1--Common | Leave a comment

Lea, River at Hackney

Above: The River Lea, with the trees of Springfield Park in the distance. The view looks almost NW, with Hackney on the left and Walthamstow Marshes on the right. The River Lea (also spelt Lee) forms the eastern boundary of … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | Leave a comment

Round Chapel, Hackney

Above: A view of the chapel through the surrounding trees in spring when the leaves are starting to appear but not totally blocking the view of the building. Construction started in 1869 on this unusual building and it was opened … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | Leave a comment

Sutton House

Above: The front of the building. Although the windows are not of Tudor style, the rest of the exterior and interior is, in part, 16th century. Sutton House is a Grade II*-listed Tudor manor house in Homerton High Street, in … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | Leave a comment

St Augustine, Hackney

Above: The tower of St Augustine seen in the large churchyard that surrounds it. The balustrade to the left is not attached to the tower, being the decorative top of the old Town Hall. St Augustine was the original parish church of … Continue reading

Posted in /Hac-Hackney | 1 Comment