Category Archives: /Rotherhithe

China Hall pub, Lower Road

Above: Looking NW at the pub beside Lower Road. Leading SE from the large roundabout which connects with Jamaica Road and Rotherhithe Tunnel is the rather uninteresting Lower Road. Lower Road extends from the roundabout to the awkward junction with … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey | Leave a comment

Elephant Stairs

Above: Part of the OS map for 1895, showing Elephant Stairs. From at least Tudor times until the 19th century, one way for a pedestrian in London to travel was to be rowed on the Thames. River stairs were once … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey, /Stairs (Water), /Thames | Leave a comment

Cherry Garden Pier

Above: Looking east from the shore at low tide, with Canary Wharf in the background. The subject of piers on the Thames in an interesting one. In the days when the docks were still in use – which ended by the … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey, /Thames | Leave a comment

Albion Dry Dock

Above: Photograph, taken in 1991 through a chain-link fence, looking south at the dry-dock flooded with rain-water. The gates on either side of the entrance (that would originally have opened into Albion Dock) can be seen. On the horizon towards … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey | Leave a comment

Greenland Dock

Above: Looking east from the western end of Greenland Dock. First constructed between 1695 and 1699 as the Howland Great Wet Dock, it was named after a Streatham landowner called John Howland. The rectangular dock had an area of about … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey, /Thames | 2 Comments

Pageant Stairs Obelisk

Above: Looking east from the footpath leading to Pageant Stairs, with the Obelisk on the right, beside the Thames in Rotherhithe. Until the 1980s, walking any distance along the side of the Thames was not possible. Many warehouses were built … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey, /Thames | Leave a comment

Redriff – An Old Place Name

Above: Part of Rotherhithe with its alternative name shown on John Rocque’s map of 1746. There are two place names – either side of the Thames – that are very similar and which point to the same topic. They are … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey, /Thames | Leave a comment

Lee Boo, Prince

Above: A plaque inside the church of St Mary, Rotherhithe. This is a story about far-away islands and how remote it must have felt to be sailing around the world in the 18th century. It also concerns the East India … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey, PERSONS | Leave a comment

St Mary, Rotherhithe

Above: The church and tower in the winter months when the view is not obscured by leaves on the trees. The view is from the additional graveyard with the watch-house on the far right. The origins of the church are … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey, /Thames | 3 Comments

Brunel Lettering (Sculpture)

Above: The large lettering beside the approach to the Rotherhithe Tunnel. The green spire of the Norwegian Church is to be seen behind the trees. Both Marc Isambard Brunel and his son Isambard Kingdom will forever be linked with Rotherhithe. … Continue reading

Posted in /Rotherhithe, /Sou-Bermondsey | Leave a comment