Category Archives: /Tow-Stepney

Prusom’s Island

Above: An old cast-iron nameplate at the western end of today’s Prusom Street. The right-hand end has been damaged. It is mounted on the corner wall of a pub called the White Swan and Cuckoo. The two lamps, used to … Continue reading

Posted in /Tow-Stepney | Leave a comment

King’s Brewhouse, Stepney

Above: Part of a map by Braun and Hogenberg, 1572. The King’s Brewhouse, Stepney For anyone seeking a visual impression of how Tudor London once looked, a good place to start is with the so-called ‘Agas Map’ which, from the … Continue reading

Posted in /Thames, /Tow-Stepney | 1 Comment

Keepier Wharf

Above: Keepier Wharf in dark brick (to the left of the view) in use as 25 flats, photographed in 2018 from the south side of the Thames. Today, the address of Keepier Wharf is 12 Narrow Street. The wharf is … Continue reading

Posted in /Thames, /Tow-Stepney | Leave a comment

St Clare, Abbey of

Above: The Abbey as it appears on the Agas map of about 1561. The Roman Wall can also be seen along the medieval gateway called Aldgate. Drawn on the west side of the Abbey is a wide cart-track, known as … Continue reading

Posted in /Tow-Stepney | Leave a comment

Wapping Station Murals

Above: Photograph of the station roundel alongside one of the murals – a delightful view of Wapping High Street in which the station is situated. The large curved Victorian warehouse is known as Gun Wharves. Wapping Station used to be … Continue reading

Posted in /Tow-Stepney | Leave a comment

Wapping River Police Pier

Above: Looking downriver from Fountain Green. ‘These days the Thames is dead’ – were the words of a river-historian when interviewed in a documentary about life working on the Thames below Tower Bridge. Compared with even the 1960s, when large cargo … Continue reading

Posted in /Thames, /Tow-Stepney | Leave a comment

Woodward Fisher

Above: Looking across the Thames at Woodward Fisher’s yard. In front of the old blue woodwork on the shore are lighters owned by Woodward Fisher. The view was taken from near the old Rotherhithe Fire Station in June 1976. Detailed … Continue reading

Posted in /Thames, /Tow-Stepney | 2 Comments